(January 2009) Even before completion in 2008 the project was awarded the „Golden Diploma“, Russia’s highest architectural certificate of distinction. The „Seaside Resort” is a complex of homes and apartment-hotels on the Martinow banks in the bay of St. Petersburg directly on the waterfront. The draft is the work of a multi-national architectural joint venture whose members were Sergei Tchoban, nps tchoban voss (Berlin) and Ewgenij Gerasimow, EGP (St. Petersburg). The contractor was the LSR Group.
The complex comprises around 160 apartments and generous flats as well as infrastructural facilities situated on the green-studded Krestovsky-Island north of St. Petersburg’s city centre. The unusual façade concept which is comprised of a great deal of natural stone, picks on Mediterranean elements like sun-blinds and shutters used in France and Italy. These are modeled as stone mock-ups and implemented as siding. In doing so, the architects paid tribute to the fact that St. Petersburg’s rulers in centuries past had a great affinity to the architecture of southern and western Europe.
Honed Black Beauty basalt was used for the building’s parapet, fine-honed Flower-Beige-limestone for the outer walls, whereas windowsills and lintels were clad in Black Slate. Special mention is due to the façade lamellas, which are routed in light limestone.
Czar Peter the Great had the city erected in 1703 in the swamps of the Newa river. It was admired and dubbed „Venice of the North“ for its many canals and splendid city palaces. The city-center is now a Unesco World Cultural Heritage. The city was the capital of the Russian Reich from the 18th to the 20th century. Under the communist regime it was renamed Leningrad. The city has over 4 million citizens.